Silver Streak® Wire Rope Lubricant
Silver Streak® Wire Rope Lubricant (#199) is a heavy duty extreme pressure lubricant specially formulated to provide extended service life over a wide range of temperatures to all types of wire ropes common to the mining, construction and marine industries.
Compounded from a blend of high viscosity index paraffin base, synthetic base and penetrating oils, Silver Streak® Wire Rope Lubricant exhibits strong adhesive and film forming characteristics, exceptional wetting and fast penetrating abilities, and excellent chemical stability. The high viscosity index of these oils also assures that the lubricant will not harden at low ambient temperatures or become thin and run at high ambient temperatures.
Blended into these oils is a special additive package which allows Silver Streak® Wire Rope Lubricant to provide:
- Excellent anti-wear and extreme pressure protection to reduce metal to metal contact between the wires during operation.
- Rust and corrosion protection within the core, adjacent wires and exterior surfaces.
Further blended into Silver Streak® Wire Rope Lubricant is a combination of molybdenum disulfide and various solid lubricants that not only fortify the film strength, but also improves the anti-wear and extreme pressure characteristics of the Lubricant beyond those of conventional or asphaltic wire rope lubricants. These additives significantly reduce friction and wear between the rope strands and to the sheaves and drums over which the ropes are drawn.
The penetrating oils present in Silver Streak® Wire Rope Lubricant allow the combination of molybdenum disulfide and various solid lubricants to penetrate the inner wire rope core providing not only increased wear protection but also for the lubrication of the vital parts of the wire rope. A combustible non-chlorinated solvent forms a weather resistant protective coating over the wire rope.
Silver Streak® Wire Rope Lubricant provides the following performance advantages:
- Significant reduction of fretting corrosion.
- Resistance to water wash out.
- Resistance to corrosion by acid, alkalines or salt water.
- Rapid displacement of moisture.
- Formation of a tough pliable film that is strongly resistant to chipping and peeling in coldweather and resistant to drying out with heat and age.
- The formation of a non-tacky surface that resists adhering of dirt and abrasives.
- Adhesiveness to prevent throw-off due to vibration or sudden changes of direction.
Silver Streak® Wire Rope Lubricant is available in only one grade and because of its unique characteristic, it can be applied manually or through the use of an automatic spray system at temperatures as low as -30° to -40°F.